|
Yet another year
posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018
Or more specific, yet another work year.
(At this point, looked back at my last post and went, wow, that was negative. Guess the CNY break had a real recharging effect, more than I imagined.)
So this post was of course triggered by release of appraisal scores, which came out a bit earlier than expected this year. Typically we would be deep in the middle of March but this year we are still in single digits. So I was actually caught unprepared for my annual chat hahah. Thought about giving it another weekend before releasing it but didn’t want to be bogged down by the burden over the weekend so very gung-ho-ly arranged for it the next day. Much to the dismay of some of them who didn’t particularly enjoy it. I know, I know. But if there’s something I insist on, this is one of it. To reflect, summarize, and kick start the next push.
Third year I am doing this formally and I gotta say, though this was my least prepared year I think it went the best. For one, I didn’t have to deal with surprises, everybody got what we recommended and IMO deservedly so. One of them even better than what we recommended so no complains there (he/she actually complained about getting a better score than he/she deserve but hey, who won’t take it?). Also spent some time sharing in advance changes that are coming up with those who have yet to hear it and reassuring them that they should not have difficulties adjusting to a new managerial style because, well, new M is our former DyM and we have similar styles. For the most part, kept to my 20 minute per person limit, exceeded for some who needed more work but compensated from some who are consistently performing and I don’t have much to pick on.
What about myself, you ask? That’s also the question I ask last when I went through this with my own M, because to be very honest, I have never paid too much attention on it myself. Unsurprisingly there’s a dip, my first after I think 4 years. Getting promoted last year and being ranked amongst the more senior and experienced people meant I rather automatically lose out, and I’ll be the first to admit that I really hadn’t stood out last year. It’s my principle to focus on the work and not the theatrics, standing out at strategic timings (may sound a bit hypocritical because I do try to plan for it when it comes to my team, just to give them that extra push to ensure that they don’t lose out unfairly to others). I really don’t mind that much. Being recognized is just a bonus.
So yep. That concludes another work year, and finally the changes that we have been hearing of for the last two years are finally happening so I suppose we can expect an eventful year ahead. I am not sure if I will be tasked to take up more than what I am doing now, what I do know for sure is that one of the project I have been handling will be a big topic this year and I can expect lots of briefings, presentations on it. The ministry officer put it best - we can only prepare the best we can and at the end of the day, it’s a political decision. We shall see.
|