The City That Never Sleeps




Wrapping up 2016!

posted : Saturday, December 31, 2016
Getting customary, these posts.

So, 2016.

Surprisingly, underwhelming. There are few high points here and there, but overall, pretty flat. Not much progress in any front.

****

Why, I shall start with work. Because that's my focus now until something else takes over.

Into my second year as a DYM, have sort of gotten used to it. Much more comfortable in managing people. So comfortable that, sigh, much as I hate to admit it, I have started scolding people more often. Be it my counterparts, or my team (who even started using codes among each other to convey info about my mood - to which I told them, I really 针对事 and not 针对人. You won't get it you did nothing wrong even though I just scolded another person). And ventured further into politics which I absolutely loathe, but had no choice.

One thing that never stops is the learning process. You realise how important it is to defend our rights. How many other people just aim to cover themselves instead of putting public interest upfront. That's a major no-no for our line of work, but these people get away with it. How helpless we seem sometimes, because we are left to pick up the pieces and produce miracles, while they enjoy life and credit. And how it is understandable that some of my colleagues feel jaded after all these years.

A personal goal of mine last year was to be an exemplary leader to my team. I certainly hoped I have earned their respect. Very thankful for the stability this year, I see some of them making progress and I learnt to understand their way of working and thinking and I try to customize the way I deal with them based on it. Which can be tiring and may seem inconsistent/biased, but it's my way of ensuring the team continue to run effectively.

I still miss being an engineer though. I jumped at opportunities to do site checks (though I still hate waking up early for monitoring). I like attending meetings, those useful kind where inputs are needed and there can be fruitful discussion with people who actually understand ground situation (i.e not policy makers). But alas, my role is now more of a guiding one, solving problems for my engineers, fronting when they run into trouble with demanding members of public, etc. And the aforementioned portion on defending our turf.

So this position isn't going to change anytime soon (or at least I don't expect it to, nor am I planning to initiate a more radical change). And thus, aim for the coming year is just to improve further. I really don't aim to intimidate my team, so maybe I will tone down a notch. Redirect all firepower externally muahaha.

****

Family! This year went home three times, like last year. Including an unplanned, impromptu one because I really missed home during that period and I felt a need to mend bridges. Worked well. One of the more memorable things I have done this year, and seeing that dumbfounded reaction from my mum was priceless.

Caught up with the besties whenever I could too. Japan is coming up in just two months and really looking forward to it.

Though there is still no decision on long term plans. Have been kind of putting off thinking about it and adopting a see how attitude. Can't help feeling that I will be stuck here for a while.

****

Traveling is literally the only other excitement in life I have. Two long trips last year, this year cut down to one long trip though it's a really enjoyable one, plus a few short trips (mostly to Malaysian cities).

Long trip was unplanned and happened to be my first ever work trip. Originally was supposed to go to KL for a conference but turns out boss got the requirement wrong and they don't actually need anybody from our division to be there so false alarm. Not that I am complaining because it turns out to be a blessing in disguise - the next opportunity was a trip to a trade fair in EUROPE. So that was a big jump from KL hahaha. And the dates clashed squarely with the period which I was supposed to cover my colleague when she went for her own long holiday. But it's too big an opportunity to be missed so off I went.

The work portion of the trip wasn't eventful actually and I literally couldn't wait to get it over and done with (which I eventually did with a presentation to RTC). It's the personal trip extension that was truly memorable. Never traveled so far from home, and alone. And it was so last minute that a lot of things were unplanned. But I enjoyed every minute of it (full details can refer to my trip posts and reflections). Very grateful for the opportunity.

Ipoh, Penang, Melaka, KL, all have their own highlights and happy to check these places off my list.

Given that I started the year with no plans...certainly an eventful year in terms of visiting new places. Next year - not sure if I will get another shot at solo trips. Haven't planned anything other than Japan. Probably don't mind group trips.

****

Housing, literally spent the entire year scouring propertyguru and while I did find some good ones...finding it difficult to take that step. One thing for sure, financial troubles seemed to have subsided (because no more loans/requests for early payments, at least not from me) though there are these few internet outages which I really am not sure of the reasons behind it (it is pointing towards inability to pay bills on time so yea). Which means urgency isn't really there.

What remains is just a desire to be even more independent. My new financial agent cum old friend Amilyn (oh yea, so I did make another small step in terms of financial planning) convinced me I am financially capable of doing so (though she thinks it's not really necessary unless something funny happens). As recent as October I was still harboring thoughts of moving out by end of the year and guess where I am now. I suppose the only thing in the way is my usual procrastination attitude and tendency to overthink.

So aim is to really make up my mind next year. Hopefully by...April?

****

Of course can't have an update without mentioning skin. Sort of worsened this year, I like to think that skin is developing resistance against treatment methods even if I maintain therapy frequency, even got medicine upgrades. Stress level seems pretty similar.

Next year, say I managed to move out, maybe I might try alternative treatment methods like revamping diet. Which needs a lot of willpower and I am not very confident in that department :/

****

Other milestones - made an attempt to learn a musical instrument! Never made it a resolution but at some point I definitely told myself I want to learn something before I turn 30 (oh god we are talking about that big 3-0 now). It was either guitar or drums and there's an opportunity for guitar so went for it. Needed a lot of practice which I am not doing currently despite buying a second hand guitar, so let's make that a resolution shall we.

(Side note: moving out may very well contribute to this)

Weight loss campaign went well right until after July when all hell breaks lose. Lost control and never regained it. Sigh. Restart next year ba.

(Side note: moving out may also well contribute to this. Now I have more reasons)

Also spent a good part of the year being obsessed on something which I am now pretty sure was all in my head and never real. Triggered a whole lot of emotions and probably I spent too much mental energy on it, even up to this point. Guess I got derailed from the bigger picture.

Next year's aim? To get back on track.

****

That's 2016! May 2017 be more exciting, and see more breakthroughs!

Labels: , , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older