The City That Never Sleeps




Wrapping up 2012

posted : Monday, December 31, 2012
Havent updated anything since my Grad Trip series..since end of year is approaching, well, good time to do it. :)

Post-commencement is dominated by work...quite a number of gatherings, meetups too but mostly work. Think it's probably a bit too late to do a full update here, but this is the era of technology after all, and i had all these documented in other forms - fb pics, tweets, foursquare check-ins (new) and instagram (new).  But one of my resolutions is to post short updates frequently la next year. Probably whenever anything other than work happened lol.

2012 is one of the milestone years - finished formal education and started working. Started the year dead worried about things like FYP, struggled with it throughout the semester and managed to smoke my way through in the end. Don't really think prof cares too much though, unfortunately. And the fact that three months later when one of my colleagues asked me what my FYP project was about, I can't even remember the title (though i still roughly remember what it was about). Yep. That is how little passion I had for it.

Other than FYP there of course are other things - job hunting being one, and thankfully as compared to others' drama-filled encounters and long long hunts mine was actually rather straightforward. Having a target to begin with definitely helps? Coz this particular target had many job openings and I kind of landed a job in a the field I was targetting so all seems well. Found out and understood later that my dept is in severe need of manpower and hence I got in rather easily..more about work later.

Then there are the farewells - bid goodbye to hall life, which sort of was a significant part of my uni adventure, though there wasnt really a sense of belonging and the "omg i am gonna miss this place" realization  at the end of it. Significant probably only because I spent quite a bit of time in it, stressed out sometimes because of it and so on. Ditto uni life, which I somehow didnt enjoy quite as much as JC life.

And house-hunting? It was mercifully short, though now looking back it probably wasnt the best idea. It now serves as a reminder that sometimes, I should have just trusted my gut feeling and firm up my mind.

Sandwiched between uni and work - my last long vacation (which wasnt that long anyway, only 2 months), where I had my most awesome and memorable trip yet (though, admittedly, I hadnt had many trips..). In the end, as I learned and relearned....it's the company that matters most and these ppl, seriously, are the best.

Then there's work. Which, um, I dun really know how to describe it because my feelings for it vary between extremes. Ok maybe not between extremes....between dislike and hey-this-is-actually-quite-interesting. I see my job as two different portions - one as a public servant (like literally) and one that actually lives up to its name, as an authority. First portion is the only one that really kills my mood especially in times when demanding and spoilt personalities get in touch with me. Actually, as I look back, I am not exactly surprised by their existence in Sg...I only blame myself because it somehow didnt occur to me that I had to deal with these "amazing" personalities. The second portion of the job is the one which I enjoy more and find myself really learning new things each time, and I want more of these. Quite unfortunate that the area which I am in-charge of will have a higher percentage of Portion 1 cases so yea.

The people I meet? Mostly okay and nice people. Get along rather ok with people from my team though sometimes I feel that work is causing all of us to be slightly antisocial...boss and her covering (she went on maternity leave) have been quite approachable. So is manager, the one who got quite concerned when he read my medical report. Still a bit nervous when I interact/present to the other higher bosses. Should get better I guess. Lunch group are the people I hang around with more often and recently started making efforts to spend more time with others - like the welfare peeps. Or the badminton peeps. Wonder but hope it will get better next year, probably more personalized christmas presents :P This year's was quite cool considering I am pretty new (at least I am happy with it) and my social skills sucked max. Oh and yea. Duno who let loose of the fact that I was a 'scholar' and I got made fun of pretty often :S Had been careful not to mention it but apparently my interviewers werent that careful about that bit :S Felt a tinge sometimes but always quick to let it go...

Oh yea, and I had a three-letter-one-syllable nickname too, which I learned to live with and respond to haha. Guess it wasnt too bad, though I still cant understand why a two syllable name is harder to remember than a three syllable name.

Outside of work...uhm, nothing much. Almost zero post-work activities, I mean, where do people even find the energy to? And staying late at work often doesnt really help this cause. But I do think I have started to accept that work can never end so it's okay to continue to live my life after working hours rather than making futile attempts to finish work "so that I can have an easier week next week".

With work also comes greater financial powers so yep. Hadnt got around looking for how to grow cash...so that's one thing to look into next year too!

That's about it I guess...other things, hmm, haha too many to mention. But just know that there are good times and lousy moments especially with, yea. Hahah maybe not a good idea to mention here. Anyway, thought I would start a journal (online or written), noting down things that are worth a smile everyday and hopefully there's something from everyday.

And my biggest wish for 2013? There's only one...had been my wish every year since 2010 and I will continue to wish for it. Don't think I can wish for anything else while it is still in my life. So yep....please go away thank you very much.

Oh yea, and the world didn't end. So everybody got to say this! Happy 2013!

Labels: , , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older