The City That Never Sleeps




Last page of chapter 1

posted : Saturday, July 04, 2020
Which clearly didn’t turn out like what I envisioned.

Idea was to go for a long vacation before the transition because it always does wonders in terms of resetting, particularly when it is solo. That didn’t happen, but in the spirit of taking a break I had a symbolic long weekend instead (yay). 

Though I did have to spend almost the entire Sunday doing up my thank you cards (because of phase 2 reopening I decided against buying online and only had time to go out to look for them during one of the workdays when I was clearing timeoff). Which meant I actually went back to office on Monday to distribute the cards (though it may be months before they get to read it, ok second guessing myself now). And also took some time to clear my cubicle a bit so that it’s easier when I shift eventually. 

But I guess I did have a good day out, good brunch and eventually at night, scheduled a catch up session with my DD. Made possible by the fact that we stayed within 400m of each other -.- so no real reason to turn it down. It’s kinda his thing to do this though from what I heard the few before me had came up with excuses and eventually it didn’t happen, but for me, it also represents part of my process for closure. And at the end I did enjoy the chat because I always find that I can relate to him in some ways (though I am sure I am not as blunt) and that made it easier to open up to him. 

But just before I slept that night I remembered that I had completely forgotten to draft my farewell email - had planned to do it in advance because I knew I wouldn’t have time on the final day and it will be a struggle to craft a decent one. So stayed up to do a couple and I think the emotions got to me so it was really tough to fall asleep too.

The final day! The morning went by without the usual flurry of emails. That feeling of 无官一身轻 was so wonderful that I will remember it for a while and miss it. I was expecting to send out emails in the morning, and then knowing M was away in the afternoon I got everybody together for a zoom session just so I can take a group screenshot heh I don’t care if I am imposing on anybody by this point (original tradition was to take in office on that single seater sofa but oh well). 

Team Cartoon Network

And yeah, guess I haven’t left behind a deep enough impression to warrant any personal words from anybody. Oh well. Guess that surprise couple of weeks back was all.

Not that I had time to dwell about it on that morning because the lunch buddies had organized a zoom farewell lunch and I spent the morning receiving one surprise delivery after another. And that really, to quote Jamus, warms the cockles of my heart. And thankful for making this day memorable.

Would have had more time in the PM if not for the Fireside Chat with the biggest boss in the PM which is just about as awkward as it gets because, really, we were encouraged to speak up but only given a couple of minutes at the beginning to intro and the rest of the time there is literally no chance to butt in as he launched into his speech (he had a lot to cover and not enough time it seems so I think nobody really found any opportunity to jump in) so we were left to stare at the screen (it would be rude to look elsewhere isn’t it) for a good close to two hours. And if I were to be really honest I didn’t find it all inspiring except for a couple of anecdotes - the rest we all know, it’s just a matter of practicing it. 

Hung up then got into another planned call - this time with the D. Who was clueless about this being my final day unfortunately, so bit of a surprise to him when I initiated it. Which is more awkward then I thought it would be because maybe he was trying too hard to inject his experiences climbing up to where he is now, maybe hoping I will learn something out of it and follow his path. Which is good intention but I just don’t find it as relatable because those aren’t my goals. But at the end I did get to say what I planned to say, which is to thank him for taking a chance with me back when I was still quite junior, because it must not have been easy for him to persuade the bigger bosses to agree. And for entrusting me with projects especially the big one. 

Half an hour left on the clock, touched up the farewell emails and off it goes. And immediately elicit responses from emails and IMs because WFH probably meant gossip travels slower LOL and news didn’t get out as far as I thought. Which meant I stayed online till my VPN expired to reply to chats. Thought I owed them one coz they are the ones that bothered to check in with me. And there is still one last farewell letter to send to GD which also needed some brain juice to craft (not sure why I second guessed so much but he just have that aura). So the day finally ended proper when that last email was sent out.

And got too emotionally spent by the end of it all (and also physically tired coz didn’t have enough sleep the night before) so cancelled my planned run. And simplified my mandatory social media posts. And just took some time to take it all in. And also regretting not taking another day of leave so that I have an entire long long weekend to recover. Something I will regret further the next morning, but that shall be another post.

Various goodies from the awesome Tiffin gang. Thank you for caring enough. LOL-ed at the pineapple though but it is one of my favorite fruits so yep good choice.

Labels: ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older