The City That Never Sleeps




Europe 2016: Pre-trip

posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016
Didn't really had time to do a pre-trip post before the trip as I felt like I had to get all the NZ posts out first before I go on another trip. So the focus was on that.

Yep, there wasn't really a lot of time. Because I completely didn't see this trip coming. In my dreams yes, but not in reality. I expected a trip to come some time, but I didn't expect everything to fall so nicely in place - Europe, somewhere I had been thinking of for a very long time, during spring, which is a good time to travel IMO, along with autumn. I always thought these are the two periods when the weather is not too extreme. Although winter isn't too bad either. Summer is just warm (though it can't be any hotter than tropical countries?) and peak season so probably crowded.

So back to the topic. I almost had to slap myself to make sure this is real - ironically Yvonne was the one to break the news to me by asking for my details for the approval form - boss didn't actually asked me beforehand if I am available for the trip. Which, as it turns out, I wasn't actually coz I was supposed to cover Nora as she goes away for her two week trip. So spoke to my M, asked if I could go which he obviously couldn't say no despite obvious reluctance (heheh) so I think all is set!

Went home, still can't quite believe how perfect it all went. I can't emphasize that enough. 

Anyway I neglect to mention that I was to attend a trade show which lasts for 4 days, in Amsterdam. And quite obviously I chose to extend the trip, at my own cost which is fair enough. And I had two weeks to plan for it. 

Almost froze from excitement/panic and didn't know where to start on trip planning! For a start, I didn't actually know my flight dates yet coz the travel arranger took a few days to get back on the flight plan so I can only stare at a map of Europe while plotting a sensible route which can be managed within the extra 9-10 days I have. So many places I want to go, but at the end, took Chris' advice to settle the bigger and more mainstream ones first considering it would be my first time in Europe - Paris and London. Initially wanted to stop by Brussels for 1-2 days too but the bombings happened and immediately struck it off my list. Though of squeezing in Madrid/Barcelona too but 不顺路 and it will be too rushed so gave those up too. 

Got a bit stressed out coz at the same time I was planning for the trip, I also can't neglect the work portion and had to sound out other divisions for a wish list of items they want me to look for during the trade show. And that comes with a deadline. 

Anyway settled on the cities, spent quite some time making up many iterations of trip plan (how many days to spend in each city) before finally starting to book accommodation, train tickets and what not. By this time there are no more cheap tickets because really, to do it properly one should always start like 3 months prior because that's when train tickets go on sale and there are more opportunities for cheap tickets. And probably more accommodation choices. But oh well. Reminding myself that the biggest expense I.e plane tickets had already been covered, I decided to not dwell on it too much. In fact I decided not to let price be the major factor in any because let's face it, I do think I make enough to support this. And it's not like I am going crazy luxurious anyway. Just not too frugal and spend reasonably to make myself comfortable. 

Completed bookings like one week before flight. During which I got into argument with my mum, over, well, her usual worries elicited by others. Ok that's putting it a bit mildly but guess not to talk about it again.

Got a little apprehensive for no reason as I approached flight date, because, for some reason, I still can't quite believe it went so well. But I guess I overworry. 

Labels: , , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older