The City That Never Sleeps




Week 1

posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009
(this was written yesterday)

Only have one night to prepare for the new semester...so much for planning to revise old notes beforehand. I wanted to do well this sem (ok i have been saying that all the time) but when the time comes, the motivation is not there for some reason. Lame. But what else can I say?

I guess I am not trying hard enough.

*******************************

So school officially started and I think even though I have been getting enough sleep everyday (at the expense of breakfast, as usual - even that part couldnt be improved), I still feel tired and lethargic in lecture everyday - probably after effects of the 33.5 hour thing..my mum always say the effects are long-lasting and I used to not believe her. Oh, btw, am taking 5 modules this semester - 4 cores and 1 science GEM...half-heartedly attempted to take a sixth module but either timetable clash, exam clash, or cause me to have 3 exams per day, or not enough points to bid. Oh well.

First impression of the modules:
CE2134 Hydraulics has been very dry so far, with formulae that pop out from nowhere and and I am already having difficulty following. Long semester ahead, sigh.

CE2155 Structural Mechanics and Materials seemed to be a fusion of both EG1109 and MLE1101, and I duno I will enjoy the two projects..one is a design project, in which we had to design an I-beam that can support a minimum of 2.5kN (dun reli rmbr) using aluminium plates and rivets, while there is another lab project that involves concrete mix design and testing. Either way I have to work very very hard, coz, well, EG1109 was my nightmare though i survived it and I dun suppose any form of continuation of the module would be any better.

CE2184 Infrastructure and the Environment is one of the modules I hope I will enjoy coz it is less technical as compared to the two above..it has something to do with how to manage infrastructures, allocation of resources, environmental impact etc. Kind of interesting ac compared to the two above..and there is a project as well..have to write some sort of proposal for an infrastructure project.

CE2407 Engineering and Uncertainty Analysis saw the return of Michael Beer, the EG1109 lecturer who always asks us to "tor a free-body diakam" or grab some beer if we cant solve a problem :S...almost the entire lecture group went "awwww..." when they saw him walk in. The module itself is very mathematical at the moment, in fact, i think i need to revise all my A Level statistics notes. Hopefully can survive this one.

Nothing beats GEK1542 Forensic Science though. I already consider Prof Stella Tan as the best lecturer I have encountered so far in NUS (even though she is not a full time lecturer, her day job is the Deputy Public Prosecutor). The first lecture involve intro of forensic science and its role in solving crimes..and prof brought in a lot of real cases she encountered and I thought that was really engaging and interesting and etc etc etc. Stel crashed the lect and i think she want more haha. Enough of praisings, I think everybody get what i want to say d. But then again, I think it will be hard to score...the class is very competitive...a lot of ppl did some form of research and posted them in the forum..reflects the hardworking-ness of the ppl. And I realise forensic minor is very selective, only the best are taken.

******************************

I was wondering whether it would be better if I can venture out and meet more CVE2 ppl by forming project groups with random ppl in the lect grp. In the end we stuck to each other coz I decided I dun wan last sem's nightmare to repeat itself. I duno, but probably not very wise.

******************************

I duno why but CE lecturers seemed very unorganized...the signing up for tutorials and labs in case of CE2134 was very messy. Lecturers thought they uploaded the lecture slides d but they actually didnt activate the workbin so nobody could access it. :S

******************************

Managed to sell of 3 used textbooks! CS1101C went to a local guy who checked through every page to see if it is still in good condition. EG1108 went to a guy who very quickly decided the meeting place before I could complain (though I am not complaining) but ended up coming late. I realized I could have jacked up the price a bit more for this and also partly because the book looked better than I remember. PC1431 went to a guy who almost drove me mad because I tot he wanted to change the meeting place from LT6 to LT16...which is in some secluded corner in Biz i think. Turned out to be a typo, but poor guy didnt know where is LT6 because he walked right past it and still couldnt find it. Oh well.

******************************

Was in a very jumbled mood today. Happy, coz mum was here. Then headache, coz not enuf sleep. Happy, coz I enjoyed forensic lecture. Pissed off a bit, coz I am sure there is nothing wrong with a guy and gal being BFFs but there are just humans in this world who don't believe. Stress a bit, coz most forensic students are freaking hardworking. Emo a bit, coz I render myself as insignificant. Happy a bit, coz Ice Age 3 was cute and nice.

******************************

Labels: , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older