The City That Never Sleeps




AYG Volunteer Training

posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009
Woke up at 6.30am..I think I am the earliest bird in Block 5 today. Lol. coz all the room lights are still off.

Training was supposed to be at Temasek Polytechnic which is at Tampines. Damn far....Planned to do some reading for my Chinese Heritage paper during the one-hour MRT ride..but then couldnt find a seat until like, halfway through at City Hall..so did managed to read a bit. Reached Tampines, then couldnt find the bus stop that has the bus that can take me to Temasek Poly (I learn the route from streetdirectory.com)...and registration was supposed to start at 8.30am and I am still stranded at Tampines bus interchange. Ended up cabbing there o_O. Taxi driver uncle was kind enough to waive 20cents off my fare since I din have coins. Heh heh.

As usual whenever I go to some function alone..I can't help but noticing...there really ARE all kinds of people in the world. First part of the training was an introduction to AYG..supposed to serve as a test for the upcoming Youth Olympic Games (I do know the difference between the two btw, not that ignorant..or was there anything in my previous post that was misleading?)...and personally I think they are really rushing it, they didnt really choose the volunteers either, anybody can be one if you can commit to the schedule..i guess they are desperate for volunteers. Only 9 sports are contested and the athletes will stay at Downtown East, "because the place has many things youth will enjoy". Err..ok..we were also told of what kind of jobs will be available for us to take up. Kind of interesting. I never knew there were volunteers in-charge of "brand protection"..i.e warn people who are carrying huge Nike banners if addidas is a sponsor of AYG. Hahahaha.

Then there was a very young lady who came to encourage us to sign up as volunteers for YOG also..I wanted to..but then not sure if I am around or not lar. Then had to attend a "module" on service excellence. We were randomly splitted into groups according to where we were sitting. This is where the "all kinds of ppl in the world" statement come in..We were all from very different backgrounds, there was a teacher, three boys from some youth group in a CC, an office lady, an ITE(?) student who laughed maniacally loudly everytime a joke was told, a MI student..and a NUS year 1 econs girl. Hah hah.

Anyway we came up with some presentations..and there was a role play session when my group was in charge of dealing with a situation in which we have to interact with angry individuals. Lolz. That was frankly speaking the most interesting part of the session. Others are quite dry..can just read one. Very little hands-on practice, theory most of the time. I guess they have to make do with whatever time they have.

Am looking forward to the six days of commitment in June. Provided they don't kick me out if I cannot attend a training/briefing by the venue which I will be assigned to.

Got cheated by the bus guide at the bus stop on my way back..supposedly all bus will stop once/ terminate at Tampines bus interchange. So I board the first bus I see (which is supposed to terminate at Tampines bus interchange...didnt check with the bus driver even though I see the sign in front of the bus saying something abt Bedok Interchange. And..yea, u guessed it. And I was thinking of exploring the new mall next to Tampines MRT, heard a lot abt it on radio this week...and it is such a rare occasion for me to travel to this part of the island you see.

Guess somebody from up there wanted me to go back to my rm quick and study eh?

P.S. I completed 7 days of blogging in a row! :)

Labels: , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older