The City That Never Sleeps




Jaded July

posted : Saturday, August 01, 2026
July was..a bit of a ride. 

I feel like the bulk of the action happened at the middle section of the month? The now mandatory monthly escape, and almost back to back with the sister’s visit. Which kinda reminded me of the last time I was healthy to receive her, because it just felt like a long holiday where I feasted for more than a week. 

This month’s escape as usual was motivated by the annual Service Anniversary time off to clear in July, and the fact that I wanted to get a 1000mile birthday bonus from SQ so it’s a near-ish destination as usual. The bad news is I fell sick the night before I flew and in fact had a terrible night’s rest, the good news is I woke up feeling ok and in fact spent the rest of the day in perfectly good spirits. It did progressively got worse again though I’d still consider the trip overall as a decent one. But it meant I was a bit under the weather the entire week the sister was around, though it also didn’t worsen so I was kind of in limbo for a bit which was a bit irritating. 

So it was also sort of a miracle that despite this, I didn’t miss any PT session. In fact ever since I started this bulking phase I have been doing quite well I think - hitting a PB almost every session in at least one exercise. Which gave me a renewed interest hoping that this is going somewhere. 

Work was kind of uninspiring again in that I attended yet another farewell. By my count this was the 5th one in exactly one year (including one that went for anw change so I did have a readily available replacement) but the whole hiring process has been tiring. Resumes weren’t great and if I wasn’t desperate I probably wouldn’t have let some through, and I am questioning myself if that is wise at the end of the day. 

And speaking of anniversary time offs this marks 14 full years in service. Eventful? Sure is. Do I want more? As shortsighted as that might sound - this is comfortable now and I am not inspired. Ask me again next year.

But I guess with all that’s going on - including the news of a former classmate passing on likely due to exhaustion from work - it’s probably a poignant reminder of the importance of self care. And on that - I didn’t react much to it as much as some of my friends did - because it is a fact that we have not been in touch for the last 20 years and I know very little on what’s going on in his life. I questioned myself if I may have been a bit cold-blooded, but all I felt was 感慨 - that a life gone too soon, and for something that ought to have been preventable. 

August will probably see a similar theme of jadedness so let’s see.

Labels:

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older