The City That Never Sleeps




Korea 2025: Train to Busan

posted : Saturday, June 21, 2025
Internal travel day! 

I didn’t book a very early train, thank god, because I thought I want to maximize breakfast time in Seoul (read: cafes). Joke’s on me in the end because as it turns out, they don’t open very early and even in the Yeonnam-dong area which is full of cafes, I had very limited choices. So I went with a name which I saw the day before (they had a branch at Hannamdong too) and had decent reviews, and headed over. Even this place didn’t open that early so I really had a rather tight window prior to my train ride. 

Oh the good news is that I woke up feeling alright and whatever ailment I had the night before hadn’t escalated into something more sinister so all’s good. 

Bus stopped earlier and passed by this Gyeongui Line Forest Park. Which I gathered was an abandoned train track repurposed into a park. And an excellent effort if you ask me. Took a stroll

Avek Cheri The Park, there’s a variety of melon pans and salt breads…went for the melon pan and opted for outdoor seating since weather is pretty comfortable

Koreans do love their cream coffees! Had a salted cream latte

There wasn’t much to do though, because it wasn’t a full scale cafe and was just a bakery of sorts. So I was done in about an hour, thought I wanted to get something a bit more substantial to fuel my train ride later so headed back to Hongdae, intention was to get either Eggdrop or Isaac Toast but neither had something that caught my eye so in the end I just went back to grab my luggage, and headed off to Seoul station. This little exploration had left me with a very tight window though so I had to rush a bit, instead of heading into Lotte Mart to grab one of their fantastic hot items I resorted to Lotteria again hahaha. Oh right I ended up not going to any Lotte Mart at any point in my trip too, again didn’t find the need to revisit. 

Finished early and thought I’d check out the neighborhood a bit 

Been here before the last trip too, and maybe I should have known. It was all quiet in the morning the last time round too.

Back in Hongdae, not fruitful so headed to Seoul Station

I quite like this place but it’s confusing underground to get from metro to train for example.

Waiting for my train. And had to contend with Boss Su’s April Fools prank attempt, he told me he had already bought tickets to join me for the rest of my trip

Train to Busan! Surprisingly nobody checked my ticket even throughout the 2h47m journey. And as with long journeys like this it was spent catching up on IG stories, Telegram group chats etc and time really just flies. 
Sustenance for the ride. Those protein drinks are mindblowing

Arrived in Busan! Been itching to come back here because I did feel that the previous time round we didn’t go too many places (again) so I really treated it as a new place I’ve never been to. Hotel was the designated (more) budget choice for the trip and I wanted it close to Busan station for obvious reasons (we stayed in Haeundae the last time round and god it was far from anything which may have contributed to the fact that we didn’t visit too many places, along with the short duration we had). But it was still a subway stop away although bus was a lot easier because literally every bus travel that route. 

Stepping out from the station. Was here 10 years ago and I don’t remember this.

You don’t have a better slogan….?

Low key amused when checking in because I got offered another room upgrade alongside with a voucher for welcome drink. The latter I sort of was expecting even if I don’t remember that it was stated at the time of booking because I do know there are hotels who will offer this for my Expedia status. But I would find out later on (a couple of months later when booking something else) that the upgrade was also part of the perks for my status, like oh that explains a lot. 

Hotel Foret The Spa

This huge ass hinoki bath in my room. Which I didn’t use because filling it is gonna take way too long and what a waste of water.

Rested a bit, trip planning a bit because this part was a bit under planned but decided to head out to Gwangalli Beach. Not that I was planning to suntan or hang out at the beach so the timing doesn’t really matters, just thought sunset would be nice. Then saw that this cherry blossom street which I marked on my map was along the way and I thought why not check it out to see what is the blooming state in Busan. And let’s just say, best decision ever. 

Alighted, spotted the beach in the distance, this place is at the fringe of the beach actually

Oh. There’s cherry blossoms!

I took way more photos but it’s just gonna all look the same so I won’t post much

This was the more dramatic one I saw

Made it to the beach. I think there was only one word to summarize the couple of hours I was in the vicinity and that’s “windy”. Really blow until I suspect my life (go translate it to Chinese literally) and as I would find out in a couple of days this wasn’t even the worst lolol. But I was constantly looking for shelter from the wind because my resolve to catch sunset and take night pics wasn’t blown away so I had an hour or so to kill. 

Gwangali beach 

Busan always had this modern outlook to me

Might be the same bridge that you see in Black Panther

Ducked inside a bakery a couple of streets away from the beach to escape from the wind a bit, it wasn’t random because I do have it marked on my maps so must have been a recommendation I saw. Actually wasn’t expecting much at this hour coz I thought bakeries usually won’t have much left by this time but it was quite decent

Croissant was flaky and buttery, not too bad.

Back to the beach, this was about the darkest I can manage and withstand because the windddd

Okay I’m out

Back to the vicinity of Busan station and surprisingly the planned dinner was…pizza. Leejaemo Pizza was apparently the best in Korea and there’s a branch near the station. Sadly some of the flavors I wanted had sold out, and I did contemplate if one whole pizza for myself was too much in light of my latest diet but oh well yolo. And I can testify that it is one of the better ones I’ve had, what do you know. 

Oh right I ordered takeout because um don’t want to show my glutton side in a restaurant lol but I finished the pizza in one sitting, over episodes of Emerald Hill I might add. And of course called it a day.

I forgot what flavor exactly this was but I remember it had potatoes and sausages and I went for cheese crust too. Very stretchy and the sauce brings it together so yes if I am in Busan again I’ll try this again

Labels: , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older