|
Europe 2024: The bucket list
posted : Sunday, February 23, 2025
(Checks) Day 11 already!
So yes this was to be another long traveling day with multiple train changes. I bought the tickets well in advance but again because of either track damages or schedule changes - the original direct train which I planned to take when returning to Vienna was cancelled. Spent a bit of time before the trip trying to understand how replacement tickets works (apparently our original ticket would still be valid for any train) but all I got in the end was a new ticket that states just about the same thing. And i decided to not pursue a refund for seat reservation that I had paid for earlier even though it’s no longer valid seeing that the train had been cancelled anyway, too much hassle communicating with ppl who don’t speak your language.
Anyway, destination of the day is Hallstatt! Was very stoked about this, this had been on my bucket list for a while and really the only reason why an Austrian leg even exists for this trip - I would have been happy enough to spend a few more days in Switzerland but no regrets here. And was very keen in working this into the trip such that I endured 4 hour train rides each way from Vienna - there didn’t appear to be good accommodation options in Hallstatt and probably wasn’t wise to drag luggages around. Original 2020 itinerary had Salzburg in the agenda too which is somewhat closer to Hallstatt but had to axe it, so settled for a return day trip. Bright and early in Vienna HBF Wiener Melange from a random bakery inside the station because was rushing a bit Off we go Leftover bread from the sleeper train, random chicken liver spread sample that was handed to us in Zurich for a quick bite on the train Foggy morning as usual But weather took a turn for the better! Arriving at Hallstatt station Anyway reached the train station, paid 15€ I think for a return ferry ticket to the town proper, and since this was one of the earlier trains, despite arriving relatively late around 1130am, there wasn’t a huge crowd yet. On the ferry, wasn’t one of the first to board so the deck is already full of people Approaching the town Almost there The jetty And what can I say? Perfect weather, and the village is just as dreamy as what I have seen online countless times. Ah. With perfect weather too. But more pics later Wandering up the town Smaller alleys The historic village square Peekaboo First order of business was to find a lunch spot, and after exploring the town a bit we settled for this hotel restaurant. Hallstatt is supposedly famous for its fresh catch (well it’s a lakeside town) and also salt, though I sampled some from a souvenir shop (I know, maybe not the best place) and I guess it’s, well, salty. In other words wasn’t wowed hahah. Restaurant interior, window seats were taken oh well Spring char with lemon risotto Fish soup which was really fishy Post lunch, headed further west beyond the market square to stop by souvenir shops and other knick knacks, before turning back to head towards the viewpoint instead. I think there are other things that you can do such as visit the salt mine, but I think we weren’t really in the mood for that. And just as well because the crowd had already arrived and we had to contend a bit with this pretty big group of Taiwanese tourists. Souvenirs Mailed one to myself. It never reached us. More of the village Headed east to the lookout point The money shot Then strolled back towards the western end again, all the way to the end this time, nothing much that really interest us. And here comes the same problem as Zermatt again - contemplated staying for sunset, but I thought about the 4 hour train ride back to Vienna and decided that I would rather catch an earlier train so that we won’t reach Vienna late. And I thought I wouldn’t see much during sunset (till date I haven’t seen any pics that made me regret) and I have already seen all I wanted to, so off we go. There’s a waterfall which is an attraction too but we never found out how to get there, not that we are really interested in it Strolling along the lake Heading off! Disembarking One last look. Probably will never be back so. And hiccup of the day - at Attnang Pucheim we boarded the wrong train lol. Correct platform but there was a slight delay to the train that we needed to take, and the earlier train was still at the platform so we entered, in my defense it was also heading to Vienna but it’s a S-Bahn train (or something, I am a bit lazy to check again) which apparently is a bit more atas and requires separate booking (which explains why it was kinda quiet when we entered the train and didn’t have to jostle for a seat). When conductor checked our ticket we realised and so we got off at the next stop, which thankfully is also one that our intended train also stops at so got on it after a half an hour wait. Back in Vienna, it also wasn’t too early so put off plans to drop by the Christmas market outside St Stephen’s Cathedral, instead we reverted to our usual MO of supermarket dinner hahah because the roasted pork looked soooo good. This was so well marinated. But took us a while to decide if it’s pork or beef Still on the hunt for my Viennese Coffee and I got a sort of decent one at McD, who cares if it’s at night I am sure I can sleep Last night in Vienna Just a couple of days left, evidenced by frantic checking in to try to secure a bulkhead seat for my flight back from London. |