The City That Never Sleeps




Seoul 2023: Flying fine

posted : Saturday, August 12, 2023
So up and about very early in the morning, because the day was planned around my first proper business class travel experience. 

In fact I would say this was the flight that led to the trip to begin with. I can’t remember how already, probably as I was researching on mile redemption and thinking I need to start using some of it because I’m still a bit short of the miles required for my dream redemption, i.e. SQ Suites to New York. Side track, I revised it to one way Suites and one way Business but news about A380 planes (which are the only planes fitted with the Suites) taken off that route meant that option is not available anymore. And you do need to book stuff like this at least a year in advance (unless you are paying for it) so there’s too much uncertainty for now to wait till I hit my target, book and pray for (another) plane change because I’m not spending all those hard earned miles on a more inferior product. 

Then it hit me - there’s a long weekend for Vesak Day and it’s close to my birthday Flying business class/first on my birthday - why not? Then I’ll need a destination that is not crazy far (that I need to spend too much leave on) yet long enough to “feel” it - Seoul it is! 

I couldn’t afford splurging on both ways as it will set my overall target back quite a bit, so I went on to book one way back from Incheon. As usual I took a few days to ponder and be indecisive about it so by the time I wanted to book, my preferred fights (SQ operates 4 flights a day and they are actually all full, good business) only have waitlist options left. Choped a 9am flight, on an Advantage redemption some more though it will require a bit of logistical workaround, such as camping in airport capsule the night before. All because I was kind of fixated about flying on the big day itself - day before had Saver options at better timings left, but it would also have meant only 4 days in Seoul which is a bit rushed so in the end no regrets. 

The bummer, at least at the point that I made the booking, was that the SilverKris Lounge at Incheon is still shuttered from COVID, with no reopening dates being announced. Guests were instead invited to an Asiana Lounge which was apparently scorned (but then again, the tastes of all these people on the miles game can be very, atas). I didn’t mind much, but just a few days before the trip SQ announced the reopening of the lounge on 5th June, just in time for my trip and I almost can’t believe my luck! 

Lounge opens at 615am, which explains why I woke up at 5 even though I am already at the airport, with a 9am flight. I wanted to maximize time in the lounge, so after clearing check in and immigrations, promptly reported to the lounge at about 630. I think it being the second day of operations after a long time, they were maybe still accustoming to their routines, so they were more focused on arranging stuff and buffet items (or maybe just coz it’s too early and they weren’t ready). But food turns out to be good for my palate, and I spent some time chilling in there. Lounges ftw, I am gonna get myself more credit cards that offer complimentary lounge access lol. 

Featuring business class boarding pass yo

Entrance to SilverKris Lounge

Lounge interior, any lounge that gives you tarmac view is good 

Breakfast spread, the staff is still fixing the labels

Typical cereals and stuff

And pastries

Got myself a bar seat for breakfast. Hi RB!

First round. Prata and curry lol. And coffee from the bartender who probably moonlighted as barista for morning flight. 

This interesting K-beauty experience zone is apparently functional, but maybe too early

The attention grabbing bar, which I imagine would be very popular during other flights - lounge only opens when there are SQ flights operating

Was buying souvenirs for the sister so I was a bit late to my gate, but I get priority boarding anyway (bye peasants lol). And I think I just let the pictures speak about the experience. 

Seat for the flight!

Noise canceling headphones, not the fancy B&O ones though

Menu. There’s two menus to select from, if you didn’t pre book a “Book the Cook” meal. This one featured a Korean menu which didn’t quite appeal to my palate 

International one was better, but i decided to exercise my BTC privilege

Champagne, went around to offer after flight reaches cruise altitude and they kept returning to fill it

Movie for the morning - Quantumania

Satay course. Absolute yum.

Switched seat to full flat bed mode for the fun of it

About the cake - I had to write in a couple of weeks before my flight to request for one. Apparently they don’t load it by default and I guess being outstation makes it more difficult. They wrote back asking for proof (which I thought was a bit surprising, because they could always access my Krisflyer info) but I sent over and they replied to tell me they will load a cake for me lol. Thick skin much hahaha. Then the stewardess serving me dropped by after the satay course to ask me if I would like the cake served, which I declined at first because I thought lunch was coming. So she asked if I would like it packed instead, because if it sits out too long it wouldn’t be nice whereas if she pack it now she can chill it or something, so I agreed. But after a while I decided to ask when they will serve lunch and she says it’s still about an hour to go, so in a bid to have a moment like the one below I decided to ask for the cake to be served.  

Steward uncle took photo for me but was not observant enough to notice the card is covering the bear

생일축하합니다!


Turns out the cake wasn’t really nice to begin with la, too dry but oh well, for the gram ahahah. And I finished the whole thing oops. 

Starter of Tuna on Niçoise salad, also a couple of bread from their basket

My BTC selection of Norwegian salmon with veg and orange quarters. Decent

Matcha ice cream was rock solid and had to wait quite a while for it to soften. Did wonder if I could ask for more food but nah, full enough

I didn’t sleep in the end. After lunch I was fiddling around with my phone for far too long and I was left with not too much time. I didn’t feel particularly sleepy also anyway so I just made myself very comfortable. I probably also didn’t make full use of the alcohol provision but eh, not a big drinker to begin with. 

Also asked for an amenity kit, which is only provided on request

And before I know it, we were descending and we had arrived in SG. And that brings the whole experience to an end. 

In my mind, I was like, I can never fly economy after this experience ahahah. But just kidding, it’s really just a nice to have (a VERY nice to have, I might add) and I would never splurge on this other than miles redemption, which I have saved up enough for an epic trip next year. Or on an upgrade for a long red eye flight maybe. 

So that concludes the trip! More trips to come in 2023?

Labels: , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older