The City That Never Sleeps




Foreigner in Malaysia

posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2022
Oh look, here’s a travel related post. 

I think I almost forgot how to write one, legit started on the first para and had to stop to think what am I going to write about hahah. 

Anyway, trip was my brainchild, sort of. Coz apparently stel had the same idea though her travel partners were her sisters, while I wanted to band together the gang to visit San and her baby. No thanks to Covid which started shortly after her wedding (actually, before the wedding) and all the lockdowns meant she got pregnant, gave birth and is now expecting a second baby and we never got to visit. I took advantage of the fact that I am already in Borneo island, and they have a couple of long weekends within two weeks, AND the fact that it was San’s birthday too so pretty good excuse for a get together. 

The Brunei duo didn’t seem to have much problems traveling in that all the travel restrictions even for foreigners seem to have lifted provided you have a valid work pass, and Val eventually sorted out all her issues that would have prevented her from traveling so she managed to confirm that she could join us, tho we had to make flexible arrangements in the event that she couldn’t. 

Had vague ideas for some sort of surprise for the birthday/preggo mummy so had to rope in the daddy for help too. Who thankfully was game for it. 

It was meant to be a chill trip actually (or at least stel had this vision for one hahah) but as it turns out, a combination of the birthday objective, short trip duration and maybe the excitement of traveling out of the country for the first time in 2.5 years and spending RM maybe meant that the trip became jam packed with activities lol. So much for chill trip. 

Arrived late on Thursday night, was surprised and actually maybe a wee bit impressed by the fact that my first entry into Malaysian land as a Singaporean didn’t went unnoticed by Malaysian authorities. Was asked a few simple questions on my old passport etc at immigration, where the officer insisted on speaking Malay to me (poor me). Checked in, room service supper and that’s about it for the night. 

Upgraded to suite coz it’s the only one that has a connection with a double room, apparently. Don’t know if hotel smelled blood and tried to 砍菜头 or what but we upgraded in the end. Oh well 久久一次 and 1:3.2

Bedroom in the suite

I love the toilet actually, but it had maintenance issues.

Won’t elaborate much about the two full days, deets in the captions below but roughly: 

Day 1 - breakfast, pool time, late lunch, coffee break, short shopping session, dinner, chill at bar 

My typical “morning after” shot

Chilling in the pool after breakfast. Actually not very chill coz we all got tired after that.

Stel sis #1 aka Vivien had craving for Chinese food (what I called China-Chinese food) so we went to this sichuan place. Decent, not as mala as I thought it would be.

Went for a bit of cafe hopping after lunch, we didn’t actually go in here coz it feels more like a bar and it’s too early for bar hopping lol but it looks quite good tbh. 

We did end up here, October Coffee House

Lost count of the number of cups of coffee I had throughout this month

Why we made this trip. Dinner at Little Italy, food was apparently traumatizing for the rest such that they were turned off by any mention of Italian food for a while lol. But dinner was also cut short coz of uncooperative baby who was not used to seeing too many unfamiliar faces in one go.

Went to hotels rooftop bar, which was so bad. Drinks had virtually no alcohol taste, sweet potato fries ended up being very traumatizing too (“it’s tasteless and tasted sour” lolol so which one is it)


Day 2 - breakfast, chill in room, spa/massage, coffee break, short shopping session, dinner. 

Reconvened in the hotel next morning coz we didn’t even get to cut cake the night before lol. It was a earl grey raspberry cake by a home baker who wasn’t very responsive but delivered when it matters, and for record the cake was quite good actually 

After checking out we went for a spa/massage session, which I thought was ok because at least I managed to fall asleep even if I felt sore after that, while KH found it traumatizing (again) coz he had to put up with masseuse’s smelly feet for 2 hours

Cafe again, this one is Nook Cafe

I always like that ice cream > coffee for affogatos

This banana cream cake thingy was good

Dinner at Jojo Gastrobar

Ambience

Tequila cincau, fancy presentation but so so nia

Guys raved over this salad thingy

These skewers were my favorite though, very flavorful

San turned the tables and surprised us instead

View from our budget accom on the last night

Woke up at ungodly hour of 6am on Sunday, freshen up and headed to airport. And that’s the end of the trip, at least the Brunei peeps still had the rest of Sunday to recover from the trip before heading to work the next day. 

Fruitful trip I suppose! For me at least. Got to catch up with the people that matters :)

Labels: ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older