|
Japan 2017: Sightseeing in Osaka
posted : Saturday, July 01, 2017
Two designated sightseeing days in Osaka!
To be honest I have been very skeptical about having 5 nights in Osaka alone. Wasn't sure if there were that many things to do/see. One month after the trip when we met Beh (who's living in Osaka), she was like "what's there to do in Osaka?"
Turns out it wasn't that bad actually. For starters, plan was to purchase the two day sightseeing pass which covers travel expenses also and hence it's a highly economical option. And the variety provided by the pass is actually pretty good.
Package. The pass is actually a flimsy ticket which we were damn worried we will lose it (San actually lost her Suica back in Kyoto)
Started the day with a trip to Osaka Museum of Housing and Living. The intention was actually to go for the free kimono experience but we didn't quite wake up early enough, and by the time we sorted out the sightseeing pass (spent quite a bit of time looking for the Tourist Info center at Namba) it wasn't really that early anymore. The earliest available time slot was 1pm and none of us are prepared to wait that long in the museum so gave up on it. Museum was still a pretty interesting place though.
Old streets remake
Items on display
I love these models. There's actually some story telling going on and as each segment ended, the models will sink and another one will descend taking its place...
Like this. Pretty interesting though I dont understand a thing.
To the Tenjinbashi Shopping Street next which is like 3km long or something. Which we didn't cover the entire length of course. In fact I think half the time we were hunting for a lunch place lol. There's this place we tried to look for but it either closed down or wasn't opened. Either way, ended up settling lunch at a random restaurant which had unagi don at affordable prices. Oh, and also another round of groceries shopping at this place called Tamade hahahah I still think the name is funny.
Tenjinbashi Shopping St
Curry from a random stall which taste like Maggi Curry Noodle actually hahah
Tamade which we spent quite some time in, it totally reminds me of Sim Kim Huat for some reason. But as usual I didn't buy anything. Duno leh. Just didnt see anything worth buying.
Discussed various lunch options but ended up settling for Unagi Don at this place coz looked quite good.
With assorted skewers
Stir fried pork which I thought was quite nice
Can't remember the name of the place though
Kevin and San googled for other food recommendations earlier and decided to go tapao this pork chop rice which is absolutely yummy!
Caved in and bought a jacket too. Coz it's cheap and at this point I was developing a cold already sigh. Blame lack of sleep/hydration.
Made our way to Umeda Sky Building! Back story is, San told Kevin to fit in a couple of towers/tall buildings coz I would be interested lol. San the best! As usual, got a bit lost figuring which exit to take and once we were out in the open, it's quite a bit of walk to the building so it's a good thing that we stuffed our purchases of the day so far into a locker beforehand.
Artistic shot heh.
Views from the top
To the Hep 5 Ferris Wheel next. Umeda is a huge shopping district but I think we were kind of running short of time because eyes are on GU rather than the shopping malls around. Kudos to Kevin for still going up the Ferris wheel even though he had a minor fear of heights. Oh, and on the way we got lucky with bird poop on the way =.=
Hep 5!
Cabins quite small actually, 3 in one cabin so we split up.
The guys
Views from the wheel
KH bought the souvenir photo
To GU next! Which is like a sister brand of Uniqlo but a more budget option. Who cares. Quality is still there. Think we spent like 2 hours in there lol. Even KH which I am still amazed coz the men's section is literally just half a floor and I completed it in 10 minutes.
GU!
Super impressed with the check out machines. Just dump your purchases into the cabinet below and they can scan the indvidual items, which takes self check out to another level
Dinner was to be a yakiniku buffet which is another long walk from where we are and we were confronted with a long waiting time when we arrived. No choice, switched places to another one nearby. Food wise, not too shabby although we hated the fact that the ventilation was so bad. And pretty annoyed at myself that I didn't trust the waiter and ended up stomaching in some beef. Interesting fact though - different charges for men and women - cheaper for the ladies because it was assumed that they eat less.
Called it a day!
|