|
Europe 2016: Around London
posted : Sunday, September 11, 2016
Kind of a short day because I don't exactly have a main agenda planned for the day, very much like my final day in Paris. The only real agenda was tea LOL. Which I spent some time researching to find a nice and affordable place.
Headed out to Buckingham Palace to catch the change of guards ceremony. Unfortunately didn't arrive too early and all the good spots were taken. Thought I might get a good view from Victoria Memorial but can't really see much so left before the ceremony actually started sigh. Figured that I can probably watch a video from YouTube or something anyway.
Yep the crowd.
About the best I can do.
Settled on the Orangery at Kensington Palace for tea and decided to walk. Coz weather was ok and wanted to save on public transport. And cutting across Hyde Park doesn't sound like a bad idea. And I can probably use some exercise hahaha.
Green Park
Not a bad place for a walk.
Along The Serpentine at Hyde Park. Weather worsening.
Royal Albert Hall in the background.
Here after a 45 minute walk.
Didn't have a reservation but luckily they can accommodate me. So went for the afternoon tea set. Had the entire three tiers of sandwich/scones/pastries to myself muahaha.
The exterior.
Scones were good! Clotted cream was DAMN GOOD.
Traditional Earl Grey blended with real blue mallow blossoms for a naturally sweeter Earl Grey taste - also known as Lady Grey.
It was set to be a rainy day so it started drizzling by the time I ended. Plan was to look for a second hand bookshop so I can maybe find a copy of Philosoper's Stone (was inspired by the tour to once again try to complete my collection, that's the only book I am missing). Maybe pop by British Natural History Museum (coz it's free lol). Ended up giving up on the book after failing to find it at one of the Oxfam stores and not visiting the museum either. Instead I ended up at Chinatown and decided to just roam around the area while waiting for dinner time hahahaha. Had decided on the famous Four Season's roasted duck for dinner and it's way too early for dinner by the time I reached Chinatown (would have been even earlier had I gone to the Bayswater branch) so I strolled along the West End (though not intending to catch any musicals) and ending at Piccadilly.
Back to the streets of London.
Chinatown arches.
The real Piccadilly. As compared to ours within Seletar Aerospace Park.
Musicals on show.
Post dinner, feeling a bit sinful, so decided to take another walk to Oxford Street. Did my grocery shopping at M&S, and ended up getting some shirts from Primark too coz they were kind of cheap, like less than £10. Then roamed around waiting for nightfall to revisit Big Ben.
M&S. Wide food selection, buy!
Scramble walk. #becauseiamatrafficengineer.
Big Ben at night.
London Eye.
From the other side of River Thames. A bit dark actually.
Sounds very aimless but I actually really kind of like this. Gets a bit stressful trying to make sure that the routes make sense but it's all good fun in the end. The freedom!
|