|
On meh-mehs and moo-moos
posted : Saturday, December 05, 2015
Two weeks since I came back from NZ and I finally have time to pen down some thoughts before getting into my usual trip reports proper.
NZ had been enjoyable overall! Even though I wasn't 100% at various points during the trip - a random tooth/gum ache in Franz Josef, overheated in Wanaka, overheated (again) in Christchurch, diarrhea during the last three days of the trip in Kaikoura, Blenheim and back in Christchurch. The only parts where I was 100%, somehow, was the middle portion which happened to be planned by me hahaha. It was the furthest from home I have ever been, the 10 hour flight was tolerable I suppose, thanks to SQ, even though I must say one of my discoveries from this trip is that I am not a fan of long flights. Sian la like that how to go Europe....
If you didn't know already, I like driving. So the idea of a road trip is fun to me, and those long distance drives were actually quite tolerable for me. The scenery helps a lot. Straight out of a postcard. Was worried that I would get bored of it, but I didn't. Counting road kills probably helps too hahaha. Seriously sometimes duno why those possums/stoats end up in the position to get killed (e.g on narrow one lane bridges).
But probably got overconfident and I was the only one out of the three to get into some sort of trouble coz I dented the bonnet slightly by parking too close to a mailbox =.=
Visited 12-13 towns in total (debatable coz there are some which we literally just stopped to visit one attraction so don't know if those count hahah). My favorite is definitely Queenstown. It's big enough to be vibrant rather than those sleepy little towns that only serve one attraction, yet small enough that it doesn't get polluted by city noise. Strolling in town after dinner both days was one of my favorites from the trip. Wanaka could be a good candidate had I been in a better shape to enjoy it. Most beautiful to me is definitely Mount Cook even though we didn't manage to do stargazing coz it rained the only night we were there. Speaking of weather it's pretty fantastic - cold la but not to an extent that winter jackets are required..on most days it is pretty sunny but cool which is exactly the kind of weather I like most.
Religiously visiting supermarkets everyday and cooking dinner is something new to me though. Fact is, there's nothing much to do at night (ok, nothing) so cooking sort of became a pastime and saves money too, so why not. Another revelation is that I can't stand not having Asian food for too long...towards the end of the two week trip I was craving so much for say, chicken rice and getting turned off by things like pizza and burgers. Sigh. The way I was brought up I guess. Sian la like that how to go Europe :/
All in all, another memorable good trip! Another location of my bucket list. And glad to finally have the chance to go on a trip with these two! :)
Where to next year?
|