|
Korea 2015: Seoul Searching
posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015
Booked an early flight to Seoul coz wanted to maximize time spent in Seoul for Val's sake and also coz it was cheaper lol.
Flight was at 9.25am in the morning, via Eastar Jet. So taking into account last minute packing and morning routines of 5 people..we were to wake up at 6. So I set an alarm and as part of my usual practice, I set another one for 5.50am coz I usually will snooze the first one ahaha. And San also set an alarm on her phone like what we did the day before.
So as usual, wake up, snooze the first one, and when the second one rang I switch it off and decided to wait a bit for san's to ring.
The next time I jolt awake it was 7.30am WTF. San mistakenly set her alarm for PM instead of AM (we found out later) and nobody woke up coz too tired out by exertions from the past two days. *cues panic mode*
It was interesting to see everybody running around the small room packing and getting dressed (wearing multiple layers sure doesn't help with the speed) and sweep whatever that is on the dressing table (varying cables and electronics) into one of the luggages. And KH's first action after waking up (we found out later) was actually to set up the GoPro in one corner coz for some reason the first thing that occurred to him was this is gold material for a video lol. Which I kind of agree just that it probably won't be the first thing that occur to me.
Ready to leave within a record 15 minutes and I think we managed to hail two cabs with the receptionist's help. And thank goodness our hotel is only about 10minutes away from the airport so we were in the airport just after 8am which is actually still pretty comfortable. Relax.
But..that wasn't the end.
At the airport while checking in we were told that our flight had been cancelled and we had been transferred to an earlier flight at I think 845am? So after checking in we had to head straight to the boarding gate :/
In retrospect not sure how we were allowed to check in coz I thought check in counters close 45minutes before flight. Maybe they made an expection coz they informed us late or sth? And not sure how our baggage made it to the flight too since we checked in late. Oh well.
All in all, an epic beginning to the Seoul leg of the trip. So much so that by the time we touched down at Gimpo Airport, we had decided to chill and take things slow while things are still under our control ahahaha. And also since we can't check in to our accom that early anyway. Settled brunch at Lotteria (KH got excited over ramyeon burger which sadly wasn't available), taking our own sweet time before metro-ing to Namyeong station.
Accom was booked from AirBnB! Loving this more and more. Who needs a hotel! Hahaha. Reviews in a separate post.
Was supposed to meet our host at Namyeong, texted him when we reached and he said he is still cleaning up and will be there in about 5 minutes. Turns out we had to wait in the cold for almost 20mins :/ But I think we are all sufficiently impressed with the place la.
Settled in, I think the inertia to get moving was kinda big too plus our schedule is kinda flexible anyway. Lesson learnt heheh. The gals bought cup noodles from convenience store earlier while waiting for our host so we had it for lunch (cheese ramen supposed to be dry mistakenly treated as soup lolol), watched TV, while KH worked. Poor guy.
Plans for the rest of the day were centered around the idea that this is Val's last day in Korea so priority given to the places which she should not miss. So off we head to MyeongDong at about 5pm! For street food and shopping!
Seen this place at so many blogs and finally here we are!
I think I like this one most! It's kind of like thick prata with nutella-ish paste inside. Yums.
Still very much in Christmas spirit.
Every shop had someone who could speak Chinese which kind of makes things easier for us (and them) I suppose. Like I said previously, to cater to the hoards of Chinese tourists. Sad thing is street food turns cold fast due to cold weather...imagine cold twister potato two minutes after coming out of the fryer *unappetizing*. And cold tteokbokki (not that I enjoy it in the first place but cold ones just sound more terrible)
Done shopping, time for dinner!
Stopped over at a dessert cafe first.
Best. Dessert. Ever. I am still drooling.
Chir Chir Chicken Factory.
It's pretty good too!
Looks pretty, but its really just...meh. Gimmick
Headed back to our accom, while going through our itinerary somehow thought the idea of going midnight shopping at Dongdaemun sounded feasible and off we go. At about 11.30pm. About -6/7 degrees C. Somehow managed to sneak in 4 ppl on the back passenger seats under the unsuspecting cab drivers nose lol.
Outdoor market.
Would have been nice to visit this place during daytime too.
Ducked inside the wholesale centre to escape wind chills. Frankly speaking not sure how the vendors survive coz there really isn't a lot of shoppers. Not sure how we did it either coz at one point we were almost sleepwalking. Needless to say bargaining didn't work out well either lol no energy to battle. But good thing we had some 收获 la.
Not so fortunate when we head back and had to take two cabs. Reached at about 3.30am and passed out after that.
|