The City That Never Sleeps




Dining without dancing

posted : Sunday, September 07, 2014
Honestly, i usually enjoy attending such functions. Mostly for the food actually haha. But usually it's hard for me to find people who want to attend with me. You don't go alone and get randomly assigned a table of strangers mah (and you know how bad I am with strangers and socializing).

This year I actually get to join a table with colleagues I am relatively close to so I was kind of looking forward to it. Got to leave work early at 2.30pm, was a bit guilty for not doing much work the entire day (went site in the morning and came back from lunch late oops). But everybody else wanted to leave so I just followed (coz nothing that was really urgent and needed to be done by that day itself).

Theme was a 1920s soirĂ©e which actually wasn't too difficult to be honest (compared to the Greek one for CE grad dinner which ironically I made an effort to dress up). Initially we decided to just go with a simple white shirt with pants plus a bow tie and maybe suspenders. On the eve (coz nobody was free enough to actually coordinate on the bow ties part) we decided to give dressing up a pass and ended up settling for 'any collared shirt/polo with jeans' lolol. 

Chilled at Vivo for a bit then took the shuttle bus into RWS. We were supposed to go early so that we can choose our preferred door gift. It was between a selfie rod or a paper weight so you can imagine which item is the more popular one. Selfie rods ran out 10 minutes after we got ours so we made it just in time. Then came the photos and long wait to get into the ballroom.

Food was terrible by the way. Service was worse. I guess food and service can never be up to par when you are mass catering for 2500 guests even for places like MBS and RWS. I thought the entertainment was okay to be honest. Can't be expecting too much for these kind of events. Emcee was pretty good. But I guess Kumar set the bar too high the year before so this year many was left disappointed. We pretty much entertained ourselves playing with the selfie rods hahaha.


Table picture featuring...the selfie rod.

Lucky draw was another attraction for me and this year I got the 29th prize yay! And improvement from  two years ago even haha. A pair of tickets to Gardens by the Bay domes and a pair for their OCBC Skywalk. Long Jon won the top prize of a pair of return tickets and travel voucher to Korea! Kind of surreal watching each digit of the winning number show up and realizing that someone from our table is going to win the top prize. Hahah. 

Probably coz I had low expectations so I couldn't understand why people who go around whining about how lousy and boring the programmes were. But overall I really thought the organizing was not bad and I definitely won't classify it as a waste of time.

Labels: ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older