The City That Never Sleeps




Australia 2013: Grey Mountains

posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014
Had reserved this day for my day trip to Blue Mountains, but was seriously reconsidering it due to the bush fires there. Checked info online and found that most of the tourist attractions here are not affected by the bush fires and remain open, and the forecast for the day is a much cooler weather which helps firefighting efforts. In the end, despite everything, I decided to head there. The haze had cleared up in Sydney anyway which is a good sign.

Caught a train to Sydney Central and switched to the Blue Mountains Line, to get off at Katoomba station. It was a two hour train ride yawn. Can get really boring since I was traveling alone, so slept through half of the ride. Actually, come to think of it, even if I wasn't traveling alone I would have slept too (and so would my traveling partner/s) so it isn't really too big a difference hahaha.

Streets of Pott's Point.

Katoomba station platform!

I like the name, actually. I am actually quite fond of aborigine sounding names in Australia. 

Seemingly peaceful little township, even though there must be thousands of tourists everyday.

Reached Katoomba station at about 11.30....sky seemed pretty clear here too. At the advise of one of the blogs I read I started by buying souvenirs lol. Coz by the time I come back from tourist attractions like Echo Point the shops at Katoomba would have closed for the day. Grabbed a quick lunch at the town and hopped on a public bus towards Echo Point. This is a public bus plying between Katoomba and the major tourist attractions like Echo Point and Scenic World, and is covered under the MyMulti pass as opposed to a separate fee charged for the other tourist hop on hop off bus services available at Katoomba. Another recommendation picked up from travel blogs heh.

Main focus of Echo Point is the Three Sisters rock formation. Can read more about it here. Hahah. While we were supposed to see it surrounded by blue mist, it was replaced by grey haze on the day. Hence the title of this post :( Another activity one can do here is the Giant Stairway. Didn't bother to go down haha. Don't think I would have lasted given my fitness level, probably would have pulled a muscle on my way down or sth.


The three of them.

Okay la picture auto-corrected to look a bit blue-er.

Next stop, Scenic World. The bus stops at one end of the Scenic Skyway first, before heading towards the other end which also houses the other attractions under Scenic World. Got off at the wrong end by mistake, but nothing wrong with that since you can still take the ride to the other end where you can buy tickets. Essentially Scenic World is made up of 4 rides (as they advertise, although the last one is really not a ride but a walk) - Scenic Skyway, Railway, Cableway and Walkway. You can either buy tickets for each of them separately if you are intending to skip some rides, or just buy a combo for all 4 rides (unlimited) which is what I did in the end.

Started with Skyway to the main building, then took the Railway down to the valley. The Scenic Railway is the worlds steepest railway by the way. Used to be for miners but they refurbished it for tourists. Then Walkway and Cableway.

Started at the wrong end of the Skyway. 

Ticket pricings

Considerably less crowded than I expect, most probably due to bushfires.

Katoomba Falls from the Skyway

See-through floor!

Only operational during the trip...fogged up at the end of the ride.

Main entrance of Scenic World

Off to Railway! 3 levels lol. Each row of bench is customizable. I get my own row, so I chose the "Cliffhanger" mode. Heh.

Heading down to the valley.

Shot taken at the end of the ride.

Used to be a coal mine...

Scenic Walkway. Technically speaking NOT a ride. Unless it's a travellator la.

One of the huts miners used to stay in. Too dark inside, no point taking pics.

The more conventional Cableway..to head back to the main building.

Past 3.30pm when I decided to head back to Katoomba. Air quality had steadily deteriorated throughout my stay there and wasn't really conducive to stay any longer, and train services are being cancelled left right centre too due to the fires. In all honesty the trip wasn't too pointless, though I don't think I caught the full picture because of the fires. Caught the 4.15 train back to Sydney. 

I kind of like this old school display. 

Back to Sydney Central!

Waited a while so that I could take this shot lol. Must wait for a train to leave/enter platform heh.

Exterior of the station


Back in Sydney the skies are still pretty clear though. Timing was quite okay, just before dusk so walked over to the Tower Eye. They always say you should visit such observatory decks just before sunset so that you can see both day and night views. As always, misjudged the walking distance. Was a half an hour walk between Sydney Central and the Tower Eye =.= 

Harbour Bridge from another perspective

Overlooking Darling Harbour, I think.

Hyde Park at night

Even from the Tower Eye I could see something happening at the Hyde Park so I thought I would head over there after I am done. Turns out there was a "Night Noodles Market" going on. Somewhat like their version of pasar malam with lots of Asian food (not just noodles). They might as well call it "Asian Night Market" lol. Contemplated settling dinner there but not in the mood for queuing (every stall had long queues) for overpriced food which I am going back to soon heh. Ended up at my favouritest place in Sydney, Circular Quay with snacks from a random stall for dinner. Feels like I am eating the scenery rather than food hahahaha.

Chinese lanterns at Hyde Park

Going a bit closer to Opera House. It's Friday night, lots of people chilling at surrounding bars. Actually I think they do that even if it's not Friday.

Took a bus back to Potts Point. In my mind, I am off partying or drinking at one of the pubs there. Doesn't sound like me? Nope? Which is why I eventually ended up at Woolworths again and then back in Macleay Lodge. Hahahahaha!

Had to show a picture of this. Bought from Woolies and IMO a very fantastic dessert.

Labels: , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older