|
Australia 2013: I'm a single rider
posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014
So while going through my Gold Coast sort-of-itinerary the night before and trying to just arrange things in order, I decided to pop by Carrara Markets' website to see if there are any kind of shuttle buses to get there. That's when I discovered that they are only open on weekends. Looking at my schedule, Saturday was already reserved for theme park and Sunday for hot air ballon ride + Brisbane day trip. But stubborn me decided that I really wanted to go there and I had to work it into my schedule somehow.
The end result is me waking up at 6 in the morning so that I can get there early and leave early and head to theme park (which opens at 10) after that. I mean, who wakes up THAT early while on holiday (if you are not going to catch sunrise or sth like that)?
Anyway, given my lack of sleep, I still manage to wake up without much resistance. For the record, there's a tourist bus which isn't free and the hours don't really suit me, so went by public bus in the end. Had to change bus even. Oh well.
Yawn.
Reached there, headed to the indoors section first (a move I later regretted). Stalls mostly up and running already though not many people around yet. Fresh produce, clothing and other stalls typically found in a market. Noticed quite a number of cafés around and my stomach was complaining already so settled down at a random cafe for breakfast.
Toasted focaccia with hot chocolate.
Walked around after that, I think I was sort of looking for things to buy? Then again, clothes aren't exactly cheap, other things are just too random to buy. And not too long later, it actually started drizzling..which I kind of wasn't expecting coz in my imagination Gold Coast is always sunny #himbotic. Anyway darted back to the indoors section and did a second round, almost wanted to buy souvenirs but decided that they might not be the cheapest so gave up on it. Rain stopped, went out to continue and almost wanted to leave when I discovered a more hidden section..this part of the markets were fancier with things like reptile show and mini golf courses, fortune tellers (those that dressed up with all sort of bling blings) and pony rides. But all in all, nothing that really excites me. Ahahah I dun mean to make Cararra Markets sound like totally boring place but mainly here to see see look look mah..wasn't really expecting to have 收获...
Some random things I actually considered buying just for the sake of buying something.
Caught a bus to Pacific Fair and changed to bus TX2 towards MovieWorld! Thank god I did that caused Pacific Fair is kind of the first stop...and by the time the bus reaches Surfer's it was fully packed so I might not have been able to get on the bus. Had a hard time choosing between DreamWorld and MovieWorld while researching prior to my trip (never considered SeaWorld or the other water theme parks). In the end, picked MovieWorld coz the rides sounded a lot more exciting and everybody seemed to be saying DreamWorld facilities are old.
Reached at around 1045, wasn't raining anymore but isn't exactly sunny either which is to me, a strange weather for theme park haha. Bought tickets the day before at one if the travel agents in town for AUD 69, original price was 89.99 I think. Didn't get the combo passes (3 theme parks unlimited entry for 100++) which is actually a pretty good deal but since I don't have the time to go multiple theme parks..no point spending extra mah. I did find cheaper options in town after this, going for as ridiculous as AUD20 per ticket but wasn't sure whether these are legitimate...Anyway, exchanged ticket, and into the theme park I go! Think I will let the pictures do the talking for this one.
The ticket counters
Another iconic image from all travel blogs I read.
First stop - Green Lantern Coaster. Single rider, sat with three girls who screamed throughout and later giggled in embarrassment. Um, not judging...
Movie World has all these carton character mascots which Dreamworld doesnt have.
Finally deposited by bag for good at a rented locker so that I can go for rides with peace of mind. Next one - Superman Escape. Not as scary as it seems, but still a good one.
A shot i took later - trying out the new camera mode lol.
Arkham Asylum - my favourite and the only ride which I went twice.
If the queue was shorter I would probably go for a couple more rounds.
Caught the stunt driving show.
Lunch/tea. Why must they serve everything with a massive bed of fries?
Parade. Apparently they were also giving out free Magnum ice creams. Didnt get any :(
As I was leaving...I was like "did I really go on that?"
Basically, the greatest advantage of going theme parks alone is being a single rider. There will always be "leftover" seats (e.g group of 3 sitting in a carriage meant for 4 etc) so the operators will ask for single riders to fill up the seats and we can legally skip all the people in front of us who wanted to ride together. Waiting time cut short and can go for the same ride multiple times even with the queue! To be fair queue for most of the rides there aren't too bad lah. There's a disadvantage of going to a theme park alone though. Because bags are usually not allowed on rides, and there's obviously nobody else you can trust to look after your belongings, I ended up renting full day lockers for AUD 10 to store my bag when I go on rides.
All in all, wouldn't say I made the wrong choice! Definitely enjoyed my day and made the most our of my single rider status. Covered most of the rides other than the Batwing Spaceshot (tot it was too common) and things like 3D rides. Food was pretty expensive so if have time, I would have packed my own lunch too. Left at about 4.30 while the staff are starting to set up for their night time Halloween specials.
Back at Surfer's where I hang around Cavill Avenue - a bit of window shopping, went into some of the malls, grocery shopping HAHAHAHA. Intention is to turn in early coz had to wake up at 3am the next morning...with another super long day ahead! Hahah Surfer's is supposed to be a place ideal for partying but well...not exactly my kind of lifestyle anyway. So yep! End of Day 2.
|