The City That Never Sleeps




Australia 2013: Day trip to Brisbane

posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014
So let's continue...I was at Nerang Fair petrol station, intending to WALK to Nerang train station to catch a train to Brisbane.

Switched on Google maps to guide me to the train station, and realized it will be a half an hour walk. And I managed to get lost even with google maps T.T coz it didn't recognize stretches without footpath and the freaking expressway which was obviously not crossable. It took me a good 45min under the baking sun (with minimal breeze and a heavy backpack). Freaking tired by the time I reached the train station and thank god the train was only a 5 minute wait. Could have missed the train too coz according to the blog which I took reference from, I was supposed to board the train from platform A/B (can't remember which one), but I had the sense to confirm with the info counter and found out it was the other platform instead.

It was to be an hour journey to Brisbane. Paid for tickets using the GO Card too, think the entire Queensland uses this system. There's free wifi on the train, but after a while realized each session is only limited to 20MB which can't really get me anywhere. And a four hour wait before you can reset your session zzzz. Was attempting to plan my day in Brisbane but gave up coz didn't want to exert batt on my phone by broadcasting my own wifi. Plus I was too tired anyway so just took a nap instead.

Woke up just as train is entering Brisbane just at around noon, and I hadn't exactly decided which station to drop off yet. Blog recommended South Bank station, but I was planning to only head there in the evening so I didn't drop off...thought I wanted to drop off at somewhere more city centre.. "Central" sounds like that so drop off from there hahaha. Exited the station, looked around...and realized I had no idea where to go oops.

Ola Brisbane. Alighted at Central station.

The feeling is both exciting and unfamiliar coz I am very much more used to proper plans as opposed to spontaneity. Roamed around a bit, then decided my first priority is to settle lunch only because it's time to do that..and head off towards Brisbane River where I can probably find a tourist centre or sth. Followed street signs towards the river then found myself at Queen Street Mall and was like "hey I know this place I read about it on some blog!" Lined with shops and a tourist centre too so that is one problem solved.

ANZAC Square just opposite Central station.


Stumbled on this. Whew!

I kind of like this place. Looks modern-ish

Popped by the tourist centre first..looking at the time I knew I didn't have much time to visit many places and the only thing on my to do list was Lone Pine's Koala Sanctuary. So grabbed some maps, bought tickets for the sanctuary with student discount *shameless*. Wasn't particularly in a rush since according to the bus schedule I got from the tourist centre, I have around an hour to spend. Then settled for lunch at.......Subway *uncreative*

 So was slowly eating my wrap while reading the map and bus schedule...when I realized that I read off the wrong schedule, read the one for weekdays instead of Sundays where buses are less frequent, the next bus being 15minutes away! Hurriedly packed up my wrap and rushed off to the bus stop which I don't even know where is. And didn't really occurred to me to ask the locals too and just kept checking the makeshift I had...after a while I realized I got the pick up location wrong too. Seriously damn comedic when I think about it now hahaha. Pick up place was supposed to be at the underground bus terminal where the entrance was somewhere near Subway earlier..in the end made it to the bus just in time.

Bus ride to Lone Pine's was about half an hour. My earlier plan when I was researching, was to take a river cruise up Brisbane River to Lone Pine's, but what I didn't know is that you would have to be on the cruise at around 10 in the morning for that to happen, as there is only one trip per day. Hence a bit lost when I found out and decided to just go with the flow when I reach Brisbane, therefore the chaos earlier. Back in the bus, for some reason it felt really stuffy in the bus and the sun outside just feels scorching. Was missing the cool breeze of Gold Coast at this point. Reached Lone Pine's and alas, no breeze outside either. Exchanged for my ticket at the counters and went straight in search of the koalas!

Was running up and down earlier so no pics. Anyway, reached Lone Pine's.

What people do when there is free wifi. They camp around it.

It's reli hot and stuffy. Hated the weather. Was missing GC dearly already.

Most of them aren't very cooperative. Gave up and paid to have a photo taken.

Quite stressful to hold one. Can't move. And oh yea got too comfortable with sunnies I forgot to switch to my regular glasses.

Tasmanian Devil, found them to be cute actually.

Most of them are just lazing around too. *too hot*


Its a pity coz the weather really killed off any outdoor mood and I was just hopping from attraction to attraction. Was ready to leave by 4pm and once again buses are very much on time, something I admire Australia for. Took the bus back to Queen street mall, finished up my wrap from lunch (yes I completely forgot about it hahahah so it was a soggy mess by the time I remembered about it). Then just proceeded to sightseeing around Brisbane CBD on my way to South Bank and Story Bridge.




It was about 6 ish when I felt that my legs really can't take it anymore if I were to walk to Story Bridge..so gave in and went online to register for the bike service! Anyway think AUD 2 is really worth it. Catch is, every time you take out a bike, you have to return it within 30 minutes. After that you can unlock the bike again and the cycle continues. Registration was simple and fast, and within minutes I have unlocked a bike from the stands heheh. It's against the law to ride without a helmet so borrowed one of the "courtesy helmets" left behind in the bike baskets. I duno much but I am guessing nobody even think about stealing helmets here. If it is back in sg/msia the helmets will probably be hijacked by someone in a blink of eye. Another reason is probably because the helmets are unique so once you wear it but you are not riding one of their bikes, it's pretty obvious too? But I prefer the earlier reason haha.

So cycled along South Bank..and applauding their government for a very well planned and executed cycling network. Was impressed. Plan is to cycle from one bike stand to the next one within 30 minutes, so that I can keep borrowing bikes. Had to keep checking my cycling map to make sure I can reach the next bike stand before 30 minutes. To my horror, many of the stands are full so I can't return my bike! Forced to detour to more ulu bike stands just so I can find an empty slot to return the bike. Eventually got to Story Bridge, and was glad that I made the trip :)

Bikes available for rent!

Wheel of Brisbane





Another mad rush as I was aiming to catch the 8.30 train back to Gold Coast. Returned the bike then walked to South Bank station, got a bit lost again and ended up almost walking into Griffith University campus. Again, just caught the train back to Gold Coast and just nua all the way. Exhausted much. 

Then bus back to surfers where I grabbed a quick dinner at Cavill. My last night at Gold Coast! Which means I had to start packing....then just K.Oed....

Labels: , ,

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older