The City That Never Sleeps




Week 1

posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010
First week back and it's already so happening.

Taking 6 modules this semester..and 4 CVE cores, one for the forensic minor and another to fulfill the prerequisite of an elective for the minor...first time taking six modules so I am a bit worried about the workload actually. And especially since got three level 3000 mods. I duno...we shall see how it goes.

This semester's CE cores seem to be more application based. At least i can see how it will apply in the real world. Unlike the ones last sem...i duno or i still cant appreciate how numerical methods will help (even though it is my best module to date hehehe). Soil Mechanics seemed interesting enough though it is supposed to be a killer module. Construction Project Management also though I dread projects. Two Water-related modules also..I hope I can survive Water Resources Eng coz its a continuation of Hydraulics, and Water Quality Eng looks awfully dry.

I realize I kind of miss Biology after the LSM lecture the other day..its a bridging Bio module for non-ALevel students..all those plant terms are so familiar. Xylem, phloem, stomata etc. Haha..lecturer seems interesting enough but I duno if I will enjoy labs. I am quite sure I don't miss ecology though. Genetics should also be interesting I hope.

Friday night lectures continues...Evidence in Forensic Science is a more advanced version of the GEM last sem...and I was a bit stressed because there are only 25 people in the class and Prof din help much by going "there were 70 applicants and we chose the 25 of you so you guys are the best of your cohort.." and i was like "huh I only got a B+ and you wanted only A or A+ students"...some more 23 of them are from Science and the prof was like:

"So which of you is from FASS?"
*girl raises her hand*
"And from FoE?"
*guy (me) raises his (my) hand*

Which made me thought I will be susceptible to shooting, like called up for discussions since the lecture is supposed to be interactive. Didnt happen anyway, but I learned quite a bit. And the hands-on and practical sessions are going to be so interesting. But I am a bit stressed every time i remembered lecturer saying "the competition is so strong, last semester everybody's marks are so close to each other" and I kind of panicked at this point. Haih..like I said we shall see how it goes.

I am still wondering if I should go for SEP actually...the Round 2 applications have opened and like I predicted there are lots more choices...but exactly how competitive are this slots I do not know. My results have improved, but there are lots more competitors also. There is one uni that caught my eye, Monash (the Melbourne one) and I was quite tempted. Will do a research on module mapping there soon..because I like the place. But then realistically speaking if I decided to do SEP it will be very hard for me to continue on with the minor. Module mapping is a headache enough with CVE modules, I dun want to imagine what will happen if I try to map Chemistry modules also.

That's life. You cant get everything you want.

I have been involved in hall stuff for four nights in a row. Monday and Thursday had a seemingly pointless rehearsal session with the NUS Co-op 40th anniversary people. Very time wasting, because most of the time we are just hanging around doing nothing. Covered IHG squash on Tuesday and this morning and spent half a day each time round writing the match report because I was horribly slow and always get distracted. Helped out in 3 of my activity booths on Wednesday night for hall's activity workshop. Went down to ice-cream party on Tuesday night. And helped out for block initiation on Monday night, and I don't really think I feel very much bonded with the block freshies, though it was very fun to not be on the receiving side.  I felt that our block was the gentler ones...at least we dont make people smell garbage. Hahahaha.

Speaking of hall...it is suddenly very populated. It takes time to get use to seeing so many unknown people around, seeing a queue during meal times and so on. I wonder if they will stay on next semester, actually. IHG season started and the imports are helping...at least guys are making it to semis already (at this stage) and girls are losing 3-2 or winning instead of losing 5-0 all the time. Hahaha don't get offended yea whoever reading this.

Got another new job offer for YOG..this time not as a volunteer i think but as a part of the workforce. An accreditation officer that is suppose to help since June and July and during YOG period which is like the first two weeks of semester. Exactly how bad it will affect me I do not know hence the reluctance to accept the offer even though I feel that I will enjoy it. I also have no idea of my vacation plans..thinking of internship and stuff but havent exactly planned how to go along with it.

And so that concludes Week 1 report (I think IHG reporting is getting to me haha)...duno why these days entries always seemed very boring..as if it has turned into a journal. Sigh. Hmm..try to make it more interesting lah. See how. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

| 1 comments

Newer›  ‹Older