|
Float experience
posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Finally, the post everybody is waiting for. (:P)
The fire to blog about it in me sort of died down already coz i had quite a bit to do after Rag Day but I shall still try to say sth about it :) I can't believe it has all ended...The last month especially, it literally flew past us. I cant say I will definitely join float again next year but I am really glad I was a floater this year and I will definitely help out again next year. 2 months. 2 whole months working on the float, and I don't even know what made me give up my holidays for this, but overall i think nothing can replace the satisfaction when I complete everything I am tasked. 2 whole weeks for the base cladding of the wardrobe, one whole week for the both trapezium walls, massssssss productions and so on. What I have taken away from float: - Immeasurable amounts of satisfaction - Stronger bonds with all floaters! - Priceless memories that holds a special position in my heart :) What float has taken away from me: - sleep :( - money :( - a few of my pants and t-shirts - 2 months of holidays with family - a few outings with friends - weight (I think i dun mind this) Seems like more cons than pros. Haha who cares. :) Progress was slow at first..we cladders begin with prototyping, which was incredibly slow and I hate it coz i was horribly uncreative...picked up pace a bit when mass production for the wardrobe begins, our week starts getting longer and longer, and the last two weeks are the craziest. From 5th to 6th I had 9 hours of sleep in 48 hours. The eve of Rag Day saw a mad dash to finish everything, sacrificing neatness and some parts were left untouched. Sideprops made their way to SRC from 9pm on Friday, and by 11pm all work have to stop. Stopped to change, then made our way to SRC after watching our float video...where touch-ups begin..all the way until 7am in the morning. Pre-judging a.k.a static display went okay i suppose..then another few touch-ups for performance, then under the baking sun performances began with faculty floats...after which we stopped for one hour ++ coz President of Singapore who only wanted to watch hall performances was late. We floaters were almost dying under the sun lah.. There was a problem with the music in our main CD during sound check period earlier in the day so we requested them to use the back-up instead..turned out they din follow our instructions and NUSSU practically ruined any surprise, if there were any in the first part of our performance. They allowed us to restart and well, probably its a good thing coz everybody was clapping for us :) and some halls even helped to cheer for us, due to our very small group of supporters, though we made enough noise to be heard too :)...performance went well too! Pleasant surprise for us as we won the Least Cost Float Award, our first shield in 11 years. I personally felt that it was very commendable (though it didnt have much to do with us) given the complications we faced :) In 2 months, the truck changed from this...(okay, I cheated, this picture was taken after everything was dismantled) The telescope, pipes and meters. The workshop entrance and the staircase. Didnt manage to snap a picture of the cool scientist's table though :( The "trapezium" (wall), the motherboard and the astrolabe. The colourful inner trapezium, my favourite cladding, though its common. The scientist's car The tail, engine and the "elephant legs" (pipes) The fin and part of the wardrobe. The wardrobe with the clock in the centre. The inner door of the wardrobe.Emo-ed after moving the float back to hall because we had to dismantle it immediately. Destroying the float we put together in 2 months was never easy. Sigh. And i thought rag day was really quite a bad idea because we actually create more trash rather than recycling, the amount of trash from each float was really quite shocking. :S The few items that survive the massive destruction. The comm hall restored.Accumulated a grand total of 33.5 hours without sleep followed by 14 hours of sleep, both being new personal "bests", from 7th to 8th Aug. By the time everything was cleared up, its 4am on 10th of August, leaving less than 24 hours to prepare for the new semester. So many memories during float...I especially like karaoke sessions (the chinese ones by Chin Ling..with occasional "What a weird song" chant in the background) which is so much more fun than singing alone in the room...also the last minute birthday "surprises", Uncle Vincent's cheese naan supper, watching shows while mass producing (in the earlier days of float), "DINNER! TECHNO! LAST CALL!".....etc etc etc. Float and Rag Day has definitely ended, but long live the memories and friendship! Float 09/10 - TK, Abel, Kaixiang, JiaShen, ChaoQun, Jasvind, WeiSeng, ChinLing, Sam, Yuan, HuiYi, Anna, Cassandra, Adeline, Shereen, Audrey, Eunice, SiJia, Cycelia, Looi, JenSern, Htin, Lucian, Yuko, Clara, PeiLyn, EeHiang, Ryan(not in pic) and yours truly. :)Labels: float, holidays, NUS, Raffles Hall |