|
Week 12!
posted : Monday, August 01, 2011
So suddenly 11 weeks have gone by and I arrive at my last week in A3C0M.
So for the final week…my admin colleague have been countdown-ing for me since the week began…and my team have been giving me much less work to do too…I guess it’s partly because they were free-er this week as compared to the last two weeks..so I was just “tasked” to continue learning some software which I abandoned few weeks earlier coz I had other stuff to do..and I really took my own sweet time too. It gets interesting after I bidded for my modules and saw them in IVLE – my design project actually requires the students to learn and apply a traffic analysis software which I learnt the first week I came into the office and have been using frequently ever since…yayness! Haha.
But anyway..back to the office, yep so was exploring the software on my own and occasionally handling some other work by the senior engineer…and the last day was spent tying loose ends…finishing up all the saikang work that was tasked to me earlier when I was bored, small lunch gathering with my supervisor and a couple of colleagues for the routine farewell lunch :) and moving around the office by 4.30pm to settle off-board procedures, belanja-ed limited number of colleagues chocs (after all, I dun reli know everybody…and my team is kind of small mah) and got thank you cards for my supervisor and the two seniors in my team. Went for the bi-weekly Happy Hour session, and somehow in the midst of camwhoring session with the other interns the two biggest bosses in the company came over and chatted with us =.= And the chatgroup got bigger as a couple of other higher ranked managers came over and talked to us about future opportunities…hahah. Finally left at around 7pm.
The table I have been occupying since late May...one of the 4 tables on which I have left my DNA behind.
The CE and ME interns in the office..minus the PRC EE interns, and two more CVE2 who were attached to site office, and one more whose term ended earlier.
The CE ppl, my usual lunch group!
With two of the biggest bosses in the company.
The scenery the 39th floor ppl get to enjoy. Apparently there are annual F1 parties too and boss says we can come back if we want. lol
Summing up the 12 weeks…although I don’t always have a lot of work to do, although I do nod off for seconds sometimes (and even got caught once by a colleague who incidentally was giving out farewell chocs during her last day at work), although the work I do may be kind of trivial at times (during which the engineer will try her best to make it sound important, bleh), I thought it was overall a nice experience. At the very least, I achieved what I wanted to, which is to see more and know more about my future career, the field I am interested in, whether it will turn me off etc, and I think I definitely have a better idea of it as compared to when I went in. I know how it is like to be a working adult (specifically a working adult in SG), how mundane office life is when you don’t have a purpose, office politics (admin area is a good area to sit in if you want office gossips, ok I am digressing). But I guess, as my admin colleague rightfully pointed out, I got lots to improve on in terms of socializing, and that I might find it hard to survive in offices like this if I continue to behave the way I did (by listening to ppl quietly instead of joining in the convo, because even though sometimes when I am bursting to say something I always always think its weird for me to butt in). Sigh. Wonder if you would believe it if I say I was born this way (I can totally see the resemblance between me and my dad now). Guess this is the life lesson I took away from these 12 weeks other than the experience I wanted.
Random note: I kind of like the environment there, the surroundings there, and I enjoyed my bus rides there every morning/evening because it takes IMO the most scenic route in SG. :)
High chance that I will apply for a job with them next year, or with London Tunisia Australia, and hopefully I will be more ready by then.
[will post up pics when internet connection gets better] Labels: intern |