The City That Never Sleeps




BUSY

posted : Sunday, August 06, 2006
Sorry for not blogging for a long time…have been quite busy with CCAs, school work, PROJECT WORK written report first draft and so on…I remember there was one week which I had to stay back after school everyday for different reasons: Service Learning, ASEAN Quiz (which I finally didn’t get a chance to participate in) and also, I had to start growing crystals for the 7th National Crystal Growing Challenge. And there is training for the Chemistry Olympiad, which I hoped to take place but finally after the third training session last Tuesday, I decided to pull out. Reason simply being I totally didn’t understand what they are talking about!! Perhaps because I never revised before the training sessions, but another reason was that I dun think I am good enough to be selected anyway. The good news is that I am offered to take the H3 Chemistry (NUS Module), because of my grades of Common Test I guess? Anyway I am eligible to apply for H3 Maths NUS Module also, but I didn’t want to try. (Notice that the H3 Chem applicants are chosen by the tutors, and the H3 Maths and Physics applicants are anybody that got an ‘A’ in Common Test) That is because I feel that I can only cope with one H3 subject at most. Anyway for H3 subjects there are two different modules, NUS module and MOE module. The NUS module is sort of the first year university, u study the modules that are normally covered in the first year of NUS. MOE module has a different syllabus. For H3 Chem NUS Module my chem. Tutor told me starting from next year the selected students will go to NUS twice a week for lectures and tutorials. By the way they only select 120 students throughout Singapore, so I think my chances are pretty minimal. I think I will rather go for MOE module anyway, it is on pharmaceutical chemistry which is much more interesting than NUS module, physical chemistry.

Haha..dun get a headache when I say all this because I dun think a lot of u will understand.. Anyway back to the main point of posting this: The ASEAN Dance, the first ever prom nite I attended,(after so much buzz about having a graduation dinner that never took place because of CERTAIN ORGANIZERS)(Come to think of it, is Chui San’s birthday party two years ago counted as one? I remember it as a ‘formal dress party’) The Preparation: At first I thought I dun have anything to prepare, since I brought a set of clothes from home when I first came here, the shirts I used to wear when I was an emcee for Charity Night 2004, Grand Variety Show 2002 and so on. Some how I got into the spirit when I saw my friends (yes, the guys) preparing themselves for the dance. I would have gone shopping with them if I wasn’t too tired the nite before the dance. When they came back, they went about trying their suits and asking each other’s opinions. Somehow I got influenced and tried my suit also. The feedback I received was that my red mickey mouse tie with polka dots (remember that tie, stella?) was too bright and standing out. In the end my room mate Kevin lent me a tie of his since he decided not to wear one, he is wearing a shirt with a blazer in order to attract more girls(that was his main objective of going to a dance, on the other hand he also betted with another friend of mine that he will get the telephone numbers of ten girls). So there I was. On the day itself the guys actually started preparing at 3pm (when the bus for the hotel leave at 6)(Later we found out that we started earlier than the girls who started at 4pm). And the go ooh-ing and aah-ing at the girls who appeared at 6pm. We boarded the bus to the 5-star hotel where the dance is held, The Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel. Of course, taking photos all the time. We just stood there in clusters, chatting with each other, taking photos etc. while some of our frens like Kevin embark on his mission. Then we went into the hall, (somehow we just stick to each others without interacting with scholars from other JCs). Then the event started with band performances, a US band who also sang 童话 apart of the other songs. Then follow the presentation of the nominated prom king and queens and buayas and buayis (the worst flirtatious guys and gals) from each hostel. Then a local band performed (either they are too bad or we simply dunno how to appreciate their music) and majority of the people just go out of the hall, some went to eat at the nearby shopping complexes, some just stood outside the hall chatting. There were still a number of people inside though, but the organizers actually had to come out to tell us that “ It is their last song, after this, can u all go in?” Ok, maybe we are a bit rude, but cant exactly blame us rite? Next is the modern dance part, where everybody just try their best to move to the rhythm, and a few dance performances by scholars from TJC and NJC. Then the prize presentation for the prom king and queens etc. Then as a tradition, the prom kings and queens lead the slow dance session..I tried to get Ms ekhem but somehow she got invited by someone else first, then I sort of feel unhappy and angry(nt sure if this is the rite word to use). But anyway after the first song I went to buy flowers(there were flowers on sale, $2 and $3 ones) and gave it to her, and invited her to dance! Wah…sounds so nice rite? Hehe..shiok sendiri..Anyway only dance for one song..and then I went off..danced with a few other scholars from my hostel. That was about it lo...I guess.

And this week was the concert week..there is the Dance Concert in Esplanade Theatre on Friday nite, and SAV (St Andrew’s Village, which means the Junior School, Secondary School and Junior College) Band Concert in Esplanade Concert Hall. And the Dance Concert- Rapture 2006 by our college dance society was simply fascinating. The dances were all very nice, the transition between dances were perfect, the lighting effect, costumes etc…everything was flawless except once, a dancer dropped her dress towards the end of her dance, fortunately she was wearing a short pants underneath and she retreated to the backstage soon. There were dances performed by the junior dancers(J1s), senior dancers (J2s), alumni, and guest dancers, TJC Modern Dance Club and NUS Dance Ensemble, and even a piece by the teachers! It is so interesting to watch the teachers doing modern dance, spotting the teachers u noe dancing. Anyway they did very well too! Must have spent hours practising. Good job done dance society! And now I know CHMS Dance could never reach these standards, this was totally another class!

CCA is starting to fill my time as well. Being in the executive committee of library, I received a badge that states so. Actually a badge is not too special, but only the student leaders of the core CCAs of the college, namely Student Council, House Council, Interact Club, Saints for Christ, and Media Resource Library received badges. Hence the badge actually signals the responsibility and commitment to your CCA. And I felt proud and happy wearing it.

Going for Band Concert tonight, I am sure that it is going to be nice as well. I think I will most probably continue blogging after my H1 Economics Common Test, which is on Friday. Oh ya, by the way, Singapore National Day is just round the corner as well.

| 0 comments

Newer›  ‹Older